Creamy Raw Cashew Aioli
12 February 2017 | 3 comments
Creamy Raw Cashew Aioli – a vegan alternative to the classic and a great staple recipe to keep on hand for everything from roast potatoes, to tacos and homemade burgers.
I’ve shared reiterations of this recipe on the blog before (Raw Tacos, Vegan Black Bean Burgers, Pumpkin Chickpea & Rocket Salad, & Raw Vegan Kofta), but thought it was about time it featured in a post of its own.
Cashews are naturally creamy when blended so make a fabulous base for the aioli, though macadamia nuts are also divine (particularly as a combo with the garlic). If you have a sensitivity or allergy to nuts, you can substitute with sunflower seeds or even avocado – if you don’t mind it being green of course.
For some reason, onion powder seems to be a little harder to source than I’d like – but it adds such a nice flavour to the mix.
Aside from the soaking time, you’ll whip this up in a minute flat. Enjoy!Creamy Raw Cashew Aioli - a vegan alternative to the classic - find the recipe here! Click To Tweet
Yields just under 2 cups.
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for 2-5 hours
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons water
- Juice of one lemon
- 2 teaspoons organic apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- 2 big pinches fine sea salt (or more – taste first)
- ½ teaspoon organic soy lecithin (see notes)
- Drain and rinse the cashews then add all ingredients to the blender, whiz till smooth.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge.