Impress your guests with this simple to make but fancy sweet potato bruschetta – topped with a sunflower seed pate, caramelised onions and fresh herbs.
Merry Christmas you guys. I come bringing gifts of the easy but impressive kind today. Something you can whip up in about half an hour and serve at a festive gathering.
Your classic bruschetta have been made over - no bread, no cheese – they’re made from sweet potato rounds and topped with a crunchy sunflower seed pate with a sweet balsamic caramelised onion.
Not quite the same crunch factor as toasted bread provides, however the flavours are perfectly balanced and you’ll be catering to those on a range of special diets (gluten free, grain free, dairy free, vegan).
[bctt tweet="Sweet Potato Bruschetta with Sunflower Seed Pate + Caramelised Onions - find it here!" username="laurenglucina"]
Health + Nutrition highlights
- Naturally gluten and dairy free
- 13g protein per serve
- 10g fibre per serve (we need at least 25g a day as healthy adults)
- Source of beta-carotene, the dietary precursor to vitamin A (immune, skin and mucosal health)
- Source of heart healthy mono-unsaturated fatty acids
- Source of the antioxidant vitamin E (thank you raw sunflower seeds)
I haven’t put together a Plant-Powered Christmas Menu for 2018, but you can check out last year’s menu here.
Stay safe, happy and well my friends!
We’ll be having another Big Fat Croatian Christmas here – I’ll be making my famous Raw Snicker’s Cake for dessert. This cake has been the bane of my life – it is SO bloody fiddly to make. The fam have all but demanded it – so now I’ll have to clear a good couple of hours in the kitchen just to make this damn cake!
Lucky it’s so delicious!
See you in 2019, big love and thank you for being a part of Ascension Kitchen.
If you make and enjoy this recipe, please leave a rating below. And better yet – leave me a comment to tell me how you got on, or just say hi – I LOVE hearing from you. Follow me on Instagram, Facebook or Pinterest to see more of my everyday recipes and wellness tips.
Sweet Potato Bruschetta
- 2 sweet potatoes
- drizzle olive oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large white onions
- generous pinch coarse sea salt
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
Sunflower seed pate:
- 1 cup sunflower seeds raw
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 tablespoon red onion minced
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- ½ teaspoon coarse sea salt
- juice of one lemon
- Start with the sunflower seed pate. Blend all ingredients in a food processer until it resembles a pate – stop and scrape the sides as you go. Set aside.
- Pre-heat oven at 225˚C / 437˚F. Wash sweet potatoes, pat dry, and slice into rounds just under 1cm in thickness.
- Lightly coat/drizzle with olive oil, arrange on a tray lined with baking paper and bake for 10 minutes on each side. Remove and set aside.
- To make the caramelised onion, peel then finely slice the onions. Heat oil in a fry pan, then cook onions with salt (low-medium heat) until golden, or about 15-15 minutes.
- Add balsamic vinegar and maple syrup, then cook a further 10-15 minutes. Resist the urge to turn the heat up, or it will burn and stick.
- To serve, spoon a little of the sunflower pate over each sweet potato round, add caramelised onion, garnish with fresh herbs if desired (eg rosemary), and enjoy!