A quick and easy vegan chickpea salad sandwich. I’m sure this will fast become your new go-to for work lunches or even picnics. Chickpeas are smashed and combined with celery, red onion, gherkins, tahini, lemon and coconut yoghurt to give a creamy, tangy filling – making an incredibly substantial and satisfying sandwich.
This delicious vegan chickpea salad sandwich is quick (15 mins), easy, healthy and delicious – it absolutely had to make an appearance here on the blog.
It is a one-bowl mix of chickpeas with finely diced celery, red onion and gherkins, with some lemon juice, salt and pepper, and creamy tahini and coconut yoghurt to round it out.
This combination very loosely reminds me of a creamy chicken, egg or tuna salad sandwich filling – but it is so much better because it is entirely plant-based!
👏🏻Health and nutrition highlights
- Chickpeas are a great source of plant-protein, fibre and iron. Chickpeas are ideal to use in curry dishes, tagines and this easy vegan falafel salad
- Tahini is a source of calcium
- Coconut yoghurt provides some beneficial bacteria
- Celery is a great source of minerals
- Nut free – so ideal for school lunches if the kiddos don’t mind the taste of onion
👩🏻🍳How to make it
Making the chickpea salad sandwich filling is as simple as anything – mash, dice, combine. You can add further spices to your liking such as cumin powder or chilli, or even a little Dijon mustard with a dash of black salt – which has a unique sulfur like taste and hence mimics eggs well in veganised recipes.
1. Dice: Finley dice the celery, red onions and gherkins/pickles.
2. Smash and combine: Smash the chickpeas with a fork and combine all ingredients in a bowl.
3. Mix: Mix all ingredients well to combine, and adjust seasoning as needed.
I’ve photographed this as a sammie made from rustic seeded sourdough, fresh greens, sprouts, crunchy cucumber and mashed avocado. And if you have the time to make bread from scratch – I’ve got a fabulous recipe here for a gluten free Buckwheat and Millet loaf.
A lighter option would be to use a wrap, either grain based or a raw, dehydrated flax and vegetable number similar to this one.
Raw onion bread would also be a winner.
And even lighter still – spoon the smashed chickpea mixture into lettuce cups with a little quinoa and a dollop of avocado.
Enjoy guys – take this one and make it your own with whatever herbs and spices you prefer. Thanks for reading and see you next week.
🌿Enjoyed this recipe? Leave a comment below, better yet - share a snap with me on instagram @ascensionkitchen. If you're after personalised health and nutrition advice, contact my clinic, I'd be happy to work with you.
Vegan chickpea salad sandwich
- 1 tin chickpeas, drained 400g
- 2 celery sticks
- ½ red onion
- 6 gherkins/pickled baby cucumbers choose a sugar free brand
- 2 heaped tablespoons of coconut yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon hulled tahini
- juice of ½ a lemon
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- seeded sourdough or rye bread, raw wrap or lettuce cups
- avocado mashed
- salad greens
- Finely dice the celery, red onion and gherkins.
- Mash the chickpeas with a fork then combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Enjoy as is, or make an epic sandwich – pairs perfectly with avocado! (Doesn’t everything?).
Ask me anything