This was the best idea ever! A DIY hair mask made from organic coconut oil, raw honey (wild harvested Puhoi Bush Honey from New Zealand even!) and chamomile essential oil.
Girls need goddess time. So this is perfect for one of those luxurious few hours to yourself on the weekend.
Coconut oil is extremely moisturising and gets deep into the roots and gives the hair body and lustre. It is a natural remedy for dandruff and is a great conditioner.
Honey has been used in hair masks and beauty treatments since ancient times. It deeply moisturises and makes your hair look glossy and feel nice and smooth.
The secret ingredient I played around with however was chamomile…
Chamomile Essential Oil
For this hair mask I used Chamaemelum nobile – Roman chamomile oil in a Jojoba oil carrier. Apart from smelling divine, therapeutically it is used for the relief of insomnia, nervous tension, stress and anxiety. It is also beneficial for skin conditions such as dryness, acne and eczema. If you have a headache you can massage a few drops into the temples or the back of your neck. When used in a hair mask, chamomile oil softens and adds a gorgeous shine.
When I saw dried chamomile flowers at the bulk foods store I immediately scooped them up! How gorgeous – a chamomile hair mask whilst sipping a chamomile tea! The German variety of chamomile is what is most often used as a tea preparation.
[bctt tweet="Lush DIY Coconut, Honey + Chamomile Hair Mask - find it here!" username="laurenglucina"]
Coco Honey and Chamomile Hair Mask, for Smooth & Shiny locks
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3-5 drops chamomile essential oil
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and work into a paste
- Work the paste into your hair from the roots down, till your hair is completely coated
- Run a wide tooth comb gently through your hair to avoid tangling, then twist it up into a bun
- Wrap a warm towel around your head turban-styles
- Sip a chamomile tea, paint your nails or do some other fun girly thing for 30 minutes while it works its magic
- Jump in the shower and shampoo as usual, you may have to repeat this process a couple of times to get the mask entirely out
- Blow dry and shine!