This açai berry bowl is an easy, delicious, antioxidant-packed breakfast. Top with bee pollen, goji and granola for extra goodness.
🥣 Açai bowls
Açai berry bowls are a bit of a craze at the moment, and it’s easy to see why. It’s like having dessert for breakfast, and not feeling bad about it.
Açai berry bowls can be whipped up in ten minutes and are bes enjoyed on a hot day.
🍓What are açai berries?
Açai berries are a deep blue-purple fruit from the Açai palm tree, native to Central and South America. The fruit pulp is freeze dried and sold as a powder. They are antioxidant superstars, and help fight free radical damage, which may help reduce the risk of heart disease and cancer.
Açai berries are low GI, providing a nice, slow release of energy.
They also contain some omega-3 essential fatty acids.
🌴What is an açai bowl made of?
Açai bowls are from açai palm berry powder or frozen puree, often blended with apple juice and frozen bananas, topped with a range of ingredients such as fresh fruits, granola, nuts, seeds, and other superfoods.
Cool and creamy and brimming with goodness, they are lick-the-bowl-worthy, promise!
Now, the awesome thing about this açai berry bowl recipe, is that it actually doesn’t live or die by the actual addition of açai.
Yes, they are jam-packed full of antioxidants (a tablespoon of the freeze dried powder is equivalent to over 200 fresh blueberries), but they are also freakin’ expensive!
It's fun to experiment and try new things, but if you need a healthy breakfast idea, then the same recipe minus the açai is equally as yum and still very nutritious.
Whatever you do though, do not scrimp on the frozen banana, that’s what gives it the ice-creaminess!
🌿Enjoyed this recipe? Leave a comment below, better yet - share a snap with me on instagram @ascensionkitchen. If you're after personalised health and nutrition advice, contact my clinic, I'd be happy to work with you.
Açai Berry Bowl
- 1 heaped tablespoon freeze-dried açai berry powder
- 1 frozen banana
- ½ cup frozen berries
- 1 medjool date
- ½ cup apple juice, coconut water or almond milk
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds optional, but adds a lovely creamy texture
- ¾ cup grawnola or other muesli, to top
- freshly sliced banana, goji and bee pollen to add colour and decorate your bowl
- Blend the Acai berry powder, frozen banana and berries, medjool date, juice and hemp seeds till nice and creamy.
- Pour over your Grawnola.
- Decorate with banana, goji and bee pollen.
- Let them loose on your insides for some serious free radical butt-kicking!
- Frozen acai berry sachets are an alternative to acai powder
- Don't skip the frozen banana - that's the key to a creamy bowl
- I love a mix of frozen blueberries with raspberries
- Nutrition panel is for a single serve, is an estimate only, and excludes the toppings.
This soooo yummy