I’ve been on a bit of a berry appreciation roll this summer. And after making a giant batch of Grawnola last week, I thought I would have a play with making Açai bowls.
Açai berries are a deep blue-purple fruit from the Açai palm tree, native to Central and South America. The fruit pulp is freeze dried and sold as a powder. They are antioxidant superstars, and help fight free radical damage, which may help reduce the risk of heart disease and cancer. Açai berries are low GI, so give you a nice slow release of energy, and also contain some omega-3 essential fatty acids.
Açai bowls are a bit of a craze at the moment, and it’s easy to see why. It’s like having dessert for breakfast, and not feeling bad about it. They are basically just an icy thick Açai smoothie poured over muesli (or raw muesli – Grawnola) and topped with banana and berries. Cool and creamy and brimming with goodness, its lick-the-bowl-worthy, promise.
Now, the awesome thing about this basic Açai bowl recipe is that it actually doesn’t live or die by the actual addition of Açai. Yes, they are mega full of antioxidants (a tablespoon of the freeze dried powder is equivalent to over 200 fresh blueberries), but they are also freakin’ expensive! Its fun to experiment and try new things, but if you need a healthy breakfast idea, then the same recipe minus the Açai is equally as yum and also very nutritious. Whatever you do though, do not scrimp on the frozen banana, that’s what gives it the ice-creaminess!
Açai Berry Bowl
RAW • vegan • antioxidant rich
| for one breakfast bowl |
- 1 heaped tablespoon of freeze dried Açai powder
- 1 frozen banana
- ½ cup of frozen berries
- 1 medjool date
- ½ cup of apple juice, coconut water or almond milk
- 1 tablespoon of hemp seeds (optional, but adds a lovely creamy texture)
- ¾ cup of grawnola, or other muesli
- Fresh sliced banana, goji and bee pollen to add colour and decorate your bowl
- Blend the Açai powder, banana, berries, medjool date, juice and hemp seeds till nice and creamy.
- Pour over your Grawnola.
- Decorate with banana, goji and bee pollen.
- Let them loose on your insides for some serious free radical butt-kicking.