This Acai Berry Bowl is an antioxidant-packed breakfast - top with bee pollen, goji and hemp seeds for extra goodness.
I’ve been on a bit of a berry appreciation roll this summer. And after making a giant batch of Grawnola last week, I thought I would have a play with making acai bowls.
[bctt tweet="Thick and icy Acai Berry Bowl - packed with antioxidants. Find it here!" username="laurenglucina"]
Acai berries are a deep blue-purple fruit from the Açai palm tree, native to Central and South America. The fruit pulp is freeze dried and sold as a powder. They are antioxidant superstars, and help fight free radical damage, which may help reduce the risk of heart disease and cancer.
Acai berries are low GI, so give you a nice slow release of energy, and also contain some omega-3 essential fatty acids.
Acai bowls are a bit of a craze at the moment, and it’s easy to see why. It’s like having dessert for breakfast, and not feeling bad about it. They are basically just an icy thick acai smoothie poured over muesli (or raw muesli – Grawnola) and topped with banana and berries. Cool and creamy and brimming with goodness, its lick-the-bowl-worthy, promise.
Now, the awesome thing about this acai berry bowl recipe, is that it actually doesn’t live or die by the actual addition of acai. Yes, they are mega full of antioxidants (a tablespoon of the freeze dried powder is equivalent to over 200 fresh blueberries), but they are also freakin’ expensive!
It's fun to experiment and try new things, but if you need a healthy breakfast idea, then the same recipe minus the acai is equally as yum and also very nutritious. Whatever you do though, do not scrimp on the frozen banana, that’s what gives it the ice-creaminess!
Pin this image and save it for later! If you make and enjoy the recipe, please leave a rating below. And better yet – leave me a comment to tell me how you got on, or just say hi – I LOVE hearing from you. Follow me on Instagram, Facebook or Pinterest to see more of my everyday recipes and wellness tips.
Acai Berry Bowl
- 1 heaped tablespoon freeze dried Acai powder
- 1 frozen banana
- ½ cup frozen berries
- 1 medjool date
- ½ cup apple juice, coconut water or almond milk
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds optional, but adds a lovely creamy texture
- ¾ cup grawnola or other muesli
- freshly sliced banana, goji and bee pollen to add colour and decorate your bowl
- Blend the Acai berry powder, frozen banana and berries, medjool date, juice and hemp seeds till nice and creamy.
- Pour over your Grawnola.
- Decorate with banana, goji and bee pollen.
- Let them loose on your insides for some serious free radical butt-kicking!
- Frozen acai berry sachets are an alternative to acai powder
- Don't skip the frozen banana - that's the key to a creamy bowl
- I love a mix of frozen blueberries with raspberries
- Nutrition panel is for a single serve, is an estimate only, and excludes the toppings.