Thai Green Curry Paste Recipe
There’s nothing much traditional about this recipe – it’s an entirely vegan (no shrimp paste/fish sauce!) green curry paste whipped up in no time using a food processor. Yield 1 1/4 cups - 20 tablespoons.
- 4 small thai green chilies (hot) deseeded, chopped*
- 5-6 cloves garlic sliced
- 2 inch piece galangal or ginger peeled, minced
- 5 coriander roots chopped
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves
- 1 kaffir lime peel only
- 2 kaffir lime leaves finely shredded
- 3 tablespoons lemongrass stalks about 2 stalks
- 1 tablespoon white peppercorns
- 3 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon coconut aminos
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- 2 Medjool dates pitted
First, dry toast the spices (pepper corns, coriander and cumin) in a skillet till fragrant (careful not to burn them), then, give them a quick pulse in a spice grinder with the shredded kaffir lime leaves (optional – however your food processor may not break the spices down adequately).
Add all ingredients to a food processor and blitz until a paste forms.
Spoon the mixture into the cavities of an ice cube tray and freeze for later use. You’ll get around 6 serves out of this recipe – 1-2 tablespoons/cubes of paste per serve (in a curry for two people I used 3 cubes as an example).
- By the time I went to photograph the recipe, I’d run out of the small green chilies I used (I think they’re also called Bird’s eye – hotter than jalapenos but not as much as a habanero. They’re small and thin). Pictured are the jalapeno’s from the supermarket – if you use these, you’ll probably want to keep the seeds in to give it a bit of heat.
- This makes a relatively small batch – make it, try it, and see how you go spice-wise. You may want to adjust the quantity of chilli for your next batch – once you’ve nailed it, make double or triple the recipe, then freeze in ice cube cavities for later use. Hello quick and easy mid-week curry.
- Don’t stress if you can’t source some of the ingredients – get creative, make some substitutes - you can’t go wrong.
- Nutrition panel is an estimate only.
Calories: 24kcalCarbohydrates: 4gFat: 0.6gSodium: 79mgFiber: 0.5gSugar: 3gVitamin C: 33mgCalcium: 7mgIron: 0.3mg