Zippy Chocolate Apricot Oat Cookies
22 September 2017 | 2 comments
Soft and chewy Chocolate Apricot Oat Cookies quicker than the speed of light (ok, not quite, but they’re zippy I tell ya!).
Cookies you guys. This is a classic recipe that my sister and I have been bouncing back between us with modifications for years. In fact, I saw her last cookie recipe a while ago, and raised it, with the genius addition of, wait for it, orange zest. Oh yes.
And as you will see by the photos, I like to enjoy these with a strong cup of tea and a quick tarot spread (another obsession I share with my sis).Zippy Chocolate Apricot Oat Cookies! A quick + easy vegan recipe. Click To Tweet
Really, though, you can’t go wrong with these classic flavours and ingredients, and the best part is, they are mashed and thrown together in minutes, and baked in 8-10.
You can literally be sitting on the couch wishing a comforting cookie into existence, and devouring it whole the next!
These make great healthy, whole food snacks. I have a feeling they would also be fun pressed into a rectangle baking tin and served like a muesli bar.
The only thing you’ll need to keep in mind for Choc Apricot Oat Cookie success, is to use the wholegrain oats. The fine oats/quick oats/rolled oats will give you a dense and doughy cookie, not ideal.
Gluten free peeps, feel free to experiment with quinoa flakes, I haven’t tried these though so can’t speak to how they would turn out.
- 2 large bananas
- 1 cup wholegrain oats (quick oats or rolled oats will not work)
- ¾ cup coconut, desiccated, fine
- ½ packed cup chopped dried apricots (organic, sulphur dioxide free)
- Small handful roughly chopped dark chocolate
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon, Ceylon
- 1½ teaspoons coconut or olive oil
- Zest of a small orange
- Pre-heat oven at 170˚C (338˚F). In a large bowl, mash the bananas well, then add all other ingredients, mix well, use your hands to combine.
- Roll a tablespoon of mixture at a time into a ball and place on a tray lined with baking paper, then flatten them down slightly.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes then let cool before serving. Store in an airtight container.
- Double the recipe if you have multiple oven trays.