Creamy Cashew Milk
AKA, Kind Milk! A creamy, delicious, dairy free plant milk. Makes 1 litre / 1 quart.
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 4 cups water
- pinch fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste
- 1 teaspoon honey
To flavour (chocolate):
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 Medjool dates
Soak cashews in ample water for up to 8 hours, to soften them for easy blending and a smooth end result.
Drain and rinse cashews, pop in the blender with coconut and water, blitz.
Pour the cashew milk into a sieve placed over a bowl, lined with a nut milk bag.
Gently squeeze until all the liquid is pressed out and you’re left with the dry pulp (discard).
Pour the freshly strained milk back into the blend, add sea salt, vanilla and honey, and blitz again ready to drink.
To make a chocolate flavoured milk:
To make a berry flavoured milk:
- Aside from cashews – you can use almonds, Brazil nuts, hazelnuts, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and sesame seeds all interchangeably.
- Straining your cashew milk is ideal, as this way there will be less separation after time.
- Store in a glass jar, refrigerated for up to four days.
- You can save the pulp from the nuts and coconut, dehydrate until 100% dry, and store in a glass container. Use the pulp in place of almond meal in your baking.
- You can freeze this recipe - in fact, frozen cubes are handy for smoothies.
Serving: 1cupCalories: 50kcal