HEALTHY BAKED FALAFEL WITH SPINACH AND SUNFLOWER SEEDS
Vegan and gluten free baked falafels packed with greens. Note: active prep time is around 20 minutes, but chickpeas are to be soaked for 24 hours in advance.
- 1 cup chickpeas dried
- Splash of apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons chickpea flour
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 cup of tightly packed spinach about 50g
- 1 cup fresh parsley
- 1 cup fresh coriander
- 1 red onion
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- Juice of half a lemon
- ½ teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons sumac
- ¼ teaspoon hot chilli flakes
- A bit of olive oil and extra sesame seeds to top with
Soak chickpeas in a large bowl of water with a splash of apple cider vinegar for a full 24 hours – use lots of water as they will double in size. Once soaked, drain well.
Pre heat oven to 180˚C.
Roughly chop all the fresh greens/herbs and the red onion, then add all ingredients to a food processor. Blitz till well combined. I found it blended easier when adding the greens first and the chickpeas last.
Roll mixture into balls and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
Drizzle a little olive oil and sprinkle sesame seeds over the top.
Bake for 35-40 minutes or till done, flipping them over halfway.
Serve with fresh salad and dress with Turmeric Tahini Dressing (below).