Protein-Rich Broccoli Pasta with Fresh Pesto
Broccoli Pasta, packed with greens, made with gluten free legume pasta, and a homemade basil pesto.
- 2 cups fresh basil tightly packed
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons cashews
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 clove garlic peeled and minced
- juice of ½ a lemon
- ¼ teaspoon coarse sea salt
- ample black pepper freshly ground
- 5 tablespoons hemp or olive oil both are equally as nice
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 250 grams legume pasta I used the San Remo 'Pulse Pasta'
- 1 broccoli
- onion white
- 1 leek white part only
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
Dry-toast the seeds in a pan for a minute or two until golden, then set aside and wipe the pan clean.
Prep vegetables: wash and dry broccoli, remove stalk, and cut the florets into very small pieces. Finely slice the white part of the leek. Peel and slice the onion.
Put the pasta on to cook as per packet instructions.
Arrange broccoli florets on a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil, and bake for ten minutes or until just crisp, at 180˚C (356˚F).
Meanwhile, heat oil in fry pan, medium heat. Cook onion and leek till softened.
Once pasta has cooked (about 10 minutes) drain and rinse very quickly under cold water. Add back to the pot, add all other ingredients and toss to combine.
Serve with lemon wedges and fresh basil leaves!
- You might like to toast a larger quantity of seeds in advance, and store them in a glass jar in the pantry. Super handy to sprinkle over salads to dress them up!
- The pesto is another component of the recipe you can either make in advance or purchase if you are super short on time - there are some lovely vegan brands on the market now
- The type of pasta matters - I've found the best gluten free brands are made with little or no grains, and a whole lot of legume
- When you re-heat leftovers, sprinkle a little water over the pasta to re-hydrate, it will be a bit dryer than regular pasta
- Sun-dried tomatoes a nice addition for variety
- A sprinkle of my Raw Brazil Nut Parmesan (again - I have large batches of this made in advance) is just delicious
- Nutritional info is an estimate only
Calories: 572kcal | Carbohydrates: 62g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 154mg | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 9g | Calcium: 170mg | Iron: 6.3mg