Perfectly crunchy hazelnut granola sweetened naturally with pure maple syrup. Serve with chilled plant-milk and low sugar fruits for an easy and delicious breakfast. Yields about 6 ½ cups, one serving has been calculated as ½ cup.
- 1 cup hazelnuts
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 cup flaked almonds
- ¾ cup whole natural almonds
- 1½ cups puffed quinoa
- ½ cup currants
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon powder
- ¼ teaspoon coarse sea salt
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pulse the whole almonds and hazelnuts together until just broken up.
Combine all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
Combine all wet ingredients, whisk together well, then pour over the dry ingredients, mixing well to combine.
Spread the mixture over a baking tray and place on the lowest or middle rack of the oven, fan bake at 135˚C / 275˚F for about 25 minutes. Toss the mixture half way through the baking time, and ensure it doesn't burn. Allow to cool entirely then store in a glass jar.
- Swap the nuts for seeds such as sunflower, pumpkin, hemp if desired
- Aside from currants, mulberries, dried apricots and figs would be lovely
- Puffed quinoa can be subbed for millet or buckwheat - both are gluten free
- Stick to a 1/2 cup serving size as this is a nutrient-dense recipe
- Serve with chilled plant-milk, and low sugar fruits such as berries, kiwifruit and papaya
- Store in a a glass jar