Healthy Butternut Squash Black Bean Tacos
These Healthy Butternut Squash Black Bean Tacos are gut friendly – made with soaked beans (to reduce anti-nutrients and improve bioavailability of minerals), authentic corn tortillas (gluten free), beet sauerkraut (probiotics) and finished with a creamy guacamole. Makes 8 Tacos.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
- 8 authentic corn tortillas
- ½ butternut squash about 2 cups cubed
- drizzle extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup beet sauerkraut as an alternative, finely shredded fresh red cabbage
- 2 small radishes sliced thin on a mandolin
- 1 heaped cup refried black beans see notes for link to recipe or use canned beans
- 2 avocados medium-large
- ½ red onion finely sliced
- 1 bunch fresh coriander/cilantro chopped
- 5g sheet toasted nori torn
- juice of one lime
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- pinch fine sea salt
- black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons scallions/spring onions sliced, to serve
Pre-heat oven at 180˚C (356˚F). Peel and dice the butternut, then lightly coat in olive oil. Space them out in a baking tray and roast till golden, approximately 30 minutes.
In a dry frying pan, heat the corn tortillas one at a time – or warm in the oven.
Spoon a couple of tablespoons each of the refried black beans and nori guacamole over the centre of each tortilla, then top with roasted butternut, sliced radish, a teaspoon or more of beet sauerkraut, a drizzle of raw cashew aioli (see notes) and a sprinkle of fresh coriander.
Smash the avocado on plate with a fork, then add all other ingredients and mix to combine.
Sprinkle a few slices of spring onions over the top to finish.
Calories: 170kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 7g | Sodium: 216mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin C: 16.5mg | Calcium: 40mg | Iron: 1.6mg