Raw Pistachio Salted Caramel Slice
A totally decadent Raw Pistachio Salted Caramel Slice drizzled with raw chocolate.
To fill an 8inch square baking tin.
Yields 16-32 slices depending on how small you cut them (they are quite rich - I tend to cut into 32).
Servings 16 large slices
- 3 cups almond meal
- ¼ cup organic rice malt syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Few good pinches of coarse sea salt
- 2 cups pistachios shelled
- ¼ cup 100% pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil melted
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 12 Medjool dates pitted (approx. 180g) – soaked in hot water for 5 mins to soften
- 1 cup peanuts
- Extra sea salt
- Batch of homemade raw chocolate to drizzle or melt down a dark, store bought choc
Line an 8inch square cake tin with baking paper.
To make the base, pulse all ingredients in a food processor till combined. Press into the cake tin and smooth out the surface. Place in freezer.
To make the caramel, blend the pistachios till they become a fine flour or even a butter, then transfer to a food processor. Add all other ingredients including the soaked and drained dates, and pulse till combined.
The resulting caramel will be VERY thick. Fantastic. Spread roughly over the base, then place a layer of plastic wrap/baking paper over the top and use your palm to even out the surface. Once done, scatter the peanuts over the top and press into the caramel. Add a few sprinkles of sea salt, then set in the freezer.
Once caramel slice has set, remove and cut into small bars. Use a teaspoon to drizzle homemade raw chocolate (or store bought) over the top and serve. Keep in fridge.
- Estimated nutrition facts are based on 16 large slices, however they are rich and I typically get 32 out of a recipe. I chose 16 as this reflects the photography (much easier to style a slightly larger slice!).
Calories: 365kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 27mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 19g | Calcium: 90mg | Iron: 2.3mg