Creamy Celeriac Soup
A thick and creamy Autumn soup with celeriac root, broccoli, fennel and garlic.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 22 minutes
Resting time 10 minutes
Total Time 27 minutes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot
- 1 leek white part
- 1 fennel bulb
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 celeriac approx.. 310g
- 1/2 head broccoli approx. 180g
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon organic vegetable bullion see notes
- 2 large tablespoons coconut yoghurt
- squeeze lemon juice
Heat olive oil in a large soup pot (low-medium heat). Peel and mince the shallot and cook till soft and browned.
Add finely sliced leek, fennel and garlic cloves, and cook a few minutes till softened and reduced down.
Peel the celeriac root and dice into cubes. Add to the soup pot with nutritional yeast, bay leaves, water and stock. Cover, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for ten minutes.
Wash and cut up the broccoli into florets, add to the soup pot, and cook uncovered for another ten minutes.
Once the soup has cooked, remove from heat and let cool for ten minutes. Remove and discard the bay leaves.
Transfer mixture to a blender, secure the lid tightly and place a tea towel over the top, and whiz till creamy.
Serve as is, or add a squeeze of lemon and dollop of coconut yoghurt. Enjoy!
- You can use a low sodium liquid vegetable stock in pace of the bullion powder.
- 4 cloves of garlic would be my minimum – more is better!
- When celeriac is out of season, use a mix of parsnip and potato.
You can use an immersion stick blender in the pot instead of a blender.
- The lemon and coconut aren’t necessary but really add to the flavour.
- I got fancy for the photo shoot and also added a sliver of sliced zucchini, sunflower seeds, a sprig of fresh thyme and black pepper.
- Nutrition panel is an estimate only and include the coconut yoghurt.
Calories: 287kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 18g | Sodium: 119mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 13g | Calcium: 180mg | Iron: 2.7mg