Raw Vegan Parfait with Matcha and Mango
18 September 2013 | 2 comments
Today I have to share the second of these Raw Vegan Parfait’s I’ve been making – because they are so damn yummy! It is really just my healthy twist on a parfait. But unlike a lot of raw recipes, there are no cashews or other nuts used to make the cream, which it makes it lovely and light on your stomach, and much lower in fat.
It is made out of Irish Moss, a seaweed rich in protein, fibre, iodine and other minerals.
Today’s version is flavoured with mangoes, my favourite fruit, and matcha, which is Japanese green tea powder. You only need a little as it can taste quite bitter, but it is super full of goodies that your body will love.
A less processed form of black tea, green tea contains high levels of catechin polyphenols that gives it antioxidant, anti-cancer, and pre-biotic like properties. It is a powerful heart protector, aids in weight loss, and is particularly preventative of cancers of the gastrointestinal tract.
The polyphenols in green tea are also under research for their potential to help prevent skin cancer when applied topically. How? There is a powerful anticancer compound called epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG) which has been found to be limited with the therapeutic goods it has to offer when taken internally. BUT, when applied directly to the skin, and onto the tumour, researchers found that there was shrinkage in 40% of the tumours it was applied to. Promising stuff! (You can read the abstract of the study here).
Yep. Green tea sunblock. I can see it now! Taken topically or internally, green tea can also make your skin more resistant to UV rays, giving you extra protection against premature ageing.
A couple of cups a day is all you need to reap the rewards, or, you can whip up one of these…
- ¼ cup nut milk
- 1 tablespoon lucuma powder
- 1 mango cheek
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar, or stevia to taste
- ¼ teaspoon matcha powder
- Pinch of coarse sea salt
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon lecithin
- The remainder of a mango, chopped
- Buckwheat (soaked, sprouted, dehydrated)
- Coconut flakes
- First, blend the Irish Moss Paste (recipe here) with ¼ cup nut milk till nice and smooth.
- Now add the rest of the nut milk, mango cheek, matcha, lucuma, coconut sugar and salt and blend again.
- Finally, add the coconut oil and lecithin for one last whizz. This is your lovely cream.
- Pour into a glass and let set in the fridge for an hour or so.
- To assemble your parfait, start by layering a bit of coconut flakes and buckwheat in the bottom of a glass jar.
- Spoon some of the matcha mango cream over the top.
- Keep layering till you reach the top, then finish with some more coconut flakes.