Kale & Quinoa with Pumpkin Bean Mash
21 April 2014 | 2 comments
Hello friends. A gloriously delicious plant-based meal to satisfy. Enjoy!
Kale and Quinoa with Pumpkin Bean Mash
A simple, healthy meal filled with flavour.
- ½ cup quinoa
- 2 big handfuls of curly kale
- ½ a shallot finely chopped
- Zest of half a lemon
- Few slices of garlic
- Coconut oil
- 4 slices pumpkin 1 cm thick
- 1 can organic cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- Finely chopped spring onion
- 1-2 teaspoons olive oil
- Toasted pumpkin seeds to decorate
- Rinse the quinoa well and drain. Add to a pot and cover with 1 cup of water, bring to the boil, reduce to a simmer, cook till soft.
- As the quinoa cooks, prepare the pumpkin and bean mash. Use a silicon brush to coat to the pumpkin in coconut oil.
- Place in a hot oven (200˚C) on a tray lined with baking paper and cook for 15 minutes or until done. Cool.
- Once cooled, use a hand held blender to mash the pumpkin with the beans, olive oil and spring onion.
- Form into a patty shape on a plate, using a cookie cutter as a mold.
- Next, chop the kale very finely into little ribbons, wash well and let drip dry.
- Put a scant amount of coconut oil in a pan, fry the shallot and garlic.
- Add the kale and wilt it down, this will literally take half a minute. Remove from heat.
- Once cooled, fold through the lemon zest and combine with the cooked quinoa.
- Serve on the plate with the mash and sprinkle toasted pumpkin seeds and a drizzle of olive oil to finish.
If you make and enjoy this recipe, please leave a rating!