A toxin-free soft scrub cleaner ideal for stovetops, ovens, sinks and bathrooms. Two minutes to make, with a long shelf life.
Back with another simple DIY cleaning recipe – this one is a soft scrub cleaner ideal for grimy surfaces.
- Baking soda
- Castile soap
- Water and
- Essential oils
As a comparison, here are the ingredients as listed in a common store-bought lemon scented cream cleanser. Sure, there are some rather benign ingredients there, but check out the ones I’ve underlined:
- Calcium carbonate: low concern – abrasive/buffering/bulking agent
- Sodium dodecylbenzenesulfonate: rated C, modern concern to both health and environment. Some concern over developmental and reproductive toxicity, evidence of acute and chronic aquatic toxicity. This is a surfactant/emulsifying agent
- Sodium carbonate: low concern – pH adjuster/buffering/bulking agent
- c9-c11 pareth-6: low concern – this is a surfactant/emulsifying agent
- Sodium cocoate: low concern – surfactant/emulsifying agent, coconut derived
- Dodium bicarbonate: low concern – abrasive/buffering agent
- Disodium distyrylbiphenyl disulphonate: low concern – surfactant/viscosity controller
- 1,2 benzisothiazoline-3(2h)-one: moderate to high concern. Of moderate concern – organ system toxicity. Of high concern – irritation to skin, eyes and lungs. This is a preservative/antimicrobial
- Perfume: who knows? Legally not obliged to disclose what these chemicals are. They are however likely petroleum derived. Chemicals used to fragrance consumer goods have been linked to a variety of adverse health conditions, from asthma and obesity, to infertility and cancer
- Ci 19140: moderate hazard. Of high concern – bioaccumulation, of moderate concern – organ system toxicity. This is a synthetic yellow dye produced from petroleum – aside from cleaning, it is approved for use in food, pharmaceuticals and cosmetics
[Source: Environmental Working Group]Make your own no-toxic soft scrub cleaner - 4 ingredients, recipe here! Click To Tweet
DIY Soft Scrub Cleaner Cost
A quick costing in NZD,
- 1 cup (210g) baking soda: $0.83 (buy bulk – 3kg cost me $11.95)
- ¼ cup (60ml) castile soap: $1.62 (bulk again – 1 litre for $27)
- 1 tablespoon water: $0
- 5 drops doTERRA lemon essential oil: $0.32
- 5 drops doTERRA eucalyptus essential oil: $0.44
- Jar: $0 – repurpose!
Sourcing your essential oils
Ready to get started?! Yay!
You can open your own wholesale account, receiving 25% off retail, and my personal support (with ongoing education), below:
Enjoy the recipe – so incredibly simple!
If you make and enjoy this recipe, please leave a rating below. And better yet – leave me a comment to tell me how you got on, or just say hi – I LOVE hearing from you. Follow me on Instagram, Facebook or Pinterest to see more of my everyday recipes and wellness tips.
- 1 cup baking soda (210g)
- ¼ cup castile liquid soap unscented (60ml)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 5 drops doTERRA lemon essential oil
- 5 drops doTERRA eucalyptus essential oil
- Combine all ingredients in a small mixing bowl and whip together. If you think it needs more water, add just one teaspoon at a time.
- Spoon into a mason jar ready for use.
- To use, spoon a small amount over your surface (eg stove), then scrub with a damp cloth.
- To remove reside, use a fresh, wet cloth.
- If you're using this to clean tile grouts, apply with a toothbrush
- This recipe has a long shelf life.