Comfort food made quick, easy and healthy - an entirely plant-based Creamy Mushroom Pasta made with red lentil penne.
The Super Blue Blood Moon a few evenings ago brought some intense weather with it didn’t it! Tamaki Drive, my local waterfront walk, was completely flooded with the King tide, and for a few days now it hasn’t felt much like summer at all.
Just quietly, it was the perfect excuse to indulge in a little comfort food, rugged up on the couch with my journal and Oracle cards. Those are the best kind of days in my opinion.
So today I have a simple Creamy Mushroom Pasta recipe to share. It is entirely plant-based and naturally gluten free, with thanks to the wonderful, life-changing legume pastas that are now gracing our shelves.
[bctt tweet="Simple, plant-based Creamy Mushroom Pasta made with red lentil penne - find it here!" username="laurenglucina"]
To make the sauce, you start with garlic and shallot, then add a very generous amount of mushrooms and simmer together with lush coconut milk, mirin (a slightly sweet tasting Japanese rice wine) and tamari (gluten free soy sauce – the saltiness balancing out the sweetness of mirin). Fresh rocket (lots of it!) is then folded through to finish.
I added a few heaped tablespoons of my raw Brazil Nut Parmesan just before serving – and it really took it next level.
It’s an incredibly simple dish, and done in 25 minutes flat.
Hope you enjoy this one – thanks for reading and I’ll see you next week with a Valentine’s treat!
Creamy Mushroom Pasta: Health & Nutrition Highlights
- 24g plant-protein per serve
- 8g fibre per serve
- 5mg iron per serve
- Shiitake mushrooms contain beta-glucans, a type of prebiotic fibre that has been shown to lower LDL cholesterol levels, favourably influence the metabolism of fats and sugars in the body, and both mediate and regulate the immune and inflammatory response
- The red lentil pasta is naturally gluten free, protein and fibre packed
- Rocket is a bitter green that helps stimulate digestive secretions
More Delicious Pasta Recipes
Creamy Mushroom Pasta
- 300 g mushrooms approx. 2/3 brown button and 1/3 shiitake
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 shallot finely chopped
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon sorghum flour or tapioca (optional)
- 4 cups rocket arugula
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 2 teaspoon tamari
- 150 g pasta I used red lentil penne
- Fresh lemon zest
- Generous sprinkle of Brazil Nut Parmesan
- Wash the rocket and spin it dry. Wash mushrooms, let dry, and slice thinly – removing the tough stalks from the shiitake.
- Cook pasta as per pack instructions.
- Heat coconut oil in pan (medium heat) and cook the shallot till translucent. Add garlic and cook another minute. Add mushrooms and cook for about five minutes.
- Add coconut cream, mirin and tamari. Either cook till the liquid has reduced down a little, or add a tablespoon of sorghum or other starchy flour to help it thicken.
- Add rocket and cook till wilted down.
- Once pasta has cooked, drain and fold through the mushroom mixture.
- Serve with a grating of fresh lemon juice and a generous amount of Brazil Nut Parmesan.
If you make and enjoy this recipe, please leave a rating!
This was delicious! I love the taste that the shiitakes give the sauce. I used coconut aminos since I don't eat soy and it worked really well. Thanks for the idea for my delicious dinner 🙂