Ok so I am totally addicted to blueberries. All I want to do is eat them for breakfast, lunch and dinner, lashed with maple syrup and cinnamon – and have double servings of all of the above. Mmmm. This smoothie is another ode to my favourite fruit. But this one is special; it’s made with Lucuma.
Lucuma – The Gold of the Incas is a Peruvian fruit. They call it the egg fruit because when you break it open it looks the centre of a hard boiled egg. The fruit pulp is then dehydrated and powders well so that’s how it’s sold. It’s carbohydrate rich, high in vitamins and minerals and has a heavenly soft maple syrup like taste. It’s amazing added to ice creams, milkshakes/smoothies, puddings, cookies and cakes so is most often used as a flavouring, to help you satisfy that sweet tooth.
Lucuma, Gold of the Incans, Fun facts:
- An excellent source of carbohydrate and calories (so awesome for a pre work out)
- Good source of fibre
- Great source of iron
- Great source of vitamins – especially carotene, B1, B2, and niacin
- It has a low-glycemic index
- You can make it into a super quick, nutritious ice cream by simply blending a frozen banana with 1 tablespoon of the powder…mmm
This smoothie is off-the-charts-good, and is packed with superfood hits too. The lucuma adds a gorgeous flavour, without adding any sugar, but then we’ve also got the hemp seeds, which are a complete protein source and have your essential fatty acids, and a dash of maca to regulate those hormones. I’ve been going through a blueberry-hemp-maca combo phase at the moment, its simple and divine and makes me feel supercharged!
You’ll also see a little Reishi mushroom extract in there – medicinal mushrooms such as reishi are well known general tonics, helping support a person during times of stress, and providing extra immune support. Taste wise, it is earthy and rich, and gives a nice dimension to my smoothies when I add it.
Wait! Don’t forget the salt! A little salt helps bring out the sweetness, so don’t go skipping it. Finally, I made mine with the water form a freshly cracked young coconut. You could easily use pre-packaged coconut water or filtered water will also be just fine.
This is a great smoothie to have before an energising work out.
Blue Lucuma Smoothie
RAW • VEGAN • PLANT PROTEIN • NUTRIENT DENSE
- 1 cup of blueberries
- 1 tablespoon of lucuma
- 1 tablespoon of hemp seeds
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla paste
- 1 teaspoon of maca
- 1 teaspoon of almond butter
- 1 Medjool date
- ½ teaspoon of reishi mushroom extract
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Pinch of pink Himalayan rock salt
- Water from one whole coconut (or a big glass of packaged coconut water)
Blend. Give a little blessing. Be nourished.