Banana Pops with Sweet Dukkah
27 March 2013 | 2 comments
Banana pops are not a new idea at all, but I really wanted to play around with the idea of a sweet dukkah to dip them in, which traditionally is a Middle Eastern dish – a mix of herbs, nuts and spices. They often use hazelnuts, cumin, sesame seeds, coriander, salt and pepper. So I decided to stick with the hazelnuts, but then add some pretty colours in there. Green pistachios, hot pink raspberry, soft lavender, bright yellow bee pollen and caramel coloured coconut sugar. Yum!Frozen Chocolate Banana Pops dipped in Sweet Dukkah - quick and simple summer treat, here! Click To Tweet
Now, lots of people overlook the humble banana, but here are just a few reasons why I love them:
- Bananas contain special prebiotics – which provide food for probiotics – the beneficial bacteria that reside in the gut
- Bananas can sort out a lousy stomach. If you have diarrhoea, the potassium in the bananas will help to soothe cramps and replace lost electrolytes. Potassium is also good for nerve and muscle function, and balancing out the fluids in the body
- Bananas taste like ice cream when they’re frozen!
Finally, if you can, choose organic. Conventional bananas are picked before they are ready to eat, so they gas them with Ethylene to encourage them to ripen. No thanks!
- 2 bananas
- 4 popsical sticks
- ½ cup raw cacao butter
- ½ cup raw cacao powder
- 4 tablespoons of liquid sweetener (honey, pure maple syrup)
- Pinch of sea salt
- ¼ cup hazelnuts
- ¼ cup pistachios
- ¼ cup almonds
- 2 tablespoons freeze dried raspberry powder
- 2 teaspoons bee pollen
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 teaspoons lavender flowers, dried (optional - lavender is an axquired taste for some)
- Peel and cut bananas in half, slide a popsical stick in each and freeze.
- Melt the cacao butter over a bath of warm water.
- Blend the cacao butter with the cacao powder, sweetener and salt.
- Pour the chocolate into a tall skinny drinking glass.
- Dip the frozen bananas into the glass to coat, quickly, because they will set.
- Sprinkle half the banana pop with Sweet Dukkha, recipe below.
- Pop back in freezer to set the chocolate.
- Blitz all the nuts in a food processor till nice and crumbly.
- Add the remainder of the ingredients, pulse to combine.