This dense and spongey 3 seed bread is better than anything you can buy from the supermarket, promise! That’s because, its Beauty Bread. It's full of nutrients that support healthy skin and hair.
The ultimate beaut-ifier. These seeds are high in the minerals copper, iron, magnesium, manganese and zinc, and are a good source of vitamins A, B1, B2, B3 and E.
- Copper binds with and escorts small fragments of proteins (peptides) to damaged skin. These copper peptides promote regeneration, healing, and are anti-inflammatory. They can also form collagen and elastin, to give you firm, supple skin, and help you look young and fresh.
- Zinc is also a great skin saver, helping to calm inflammation and repair damage. Zinc and copper also work on the hair, stimulating growth by enhancing the immune system. A zinc deficiency will show up as little white spots on your nails.
- Iron helps combat anemia, a contributor to hair loss.
- Vitamin A, a powerful antioxidant, helps to prevent free radical damage and strengthens and protects the skin tissue.
- Vitamin B3 (also known as niacin) improves blood flow to the skin’s surface. If you are deficient in B3 it can manifest as acne.
- Vitamin E is also regenerative, helping skin cells heal and repair, as well as promoting circulation to the scalp.
P.S: Guys – off topic – but pumpkin seeds are excellent for prostate health! Just thought I’d sneak that in there!
One of the best sources of vitamin E you can get. They are also a source of selenium. Selenium is an antioxidant that promotes tissue elasticity and protects the skin from sun damage.
The omega-3 fatty acids in flax seeds are excellent allies in treating dry and inflamed skin. They moisten, soften and repair. They are particularly useful at healing eczema and psoriasis. The lignans in the seeds help fight inflammation, and promote healing. They also help balance hormones in women, so can aid in hormonal-related hair loss.
This bread is really easy to make, just take care not to over process it. The chunkier the seeds, the better. I haven’t tried making it in an oven but I’m sure it would be fine on a low heat if you kept an eye on it.
3 Seed Beauty Bread
RAW • VEGAN • GLUTEN FREE • PALEO FRIENDLY • NUTRIENT DENSE
| makes 8 slices |
- 1 ½ cups flax seeds
- 1 cup sunflower seeds, soaked
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds, soaked
- ½ cup finely shredded coconut
- 1 cup zucchini, shredded
- ½ cup water
- 1 tablespoon Italian herbs
- 1 teaspoon flaky sea salt
- Grind your flax seeds in your blender just till they turn into a rough meal.
- Pulse the drained sunflower and pumpkin seeds in a food processor till they are just roughly chopped.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all of your ingredients, and mix well to get a nice dough.
- Separate the dough into two portions, then flatten out on a dehydrator teflex sheet into two rectangles. Mine were about 10cm wide, 20cm in length, and 2.5cm deep, see graphic below.
- Slice the bread into 4 pieces per loaf.
- Dehydrate at 145˚ for two hours, this will help seal the bread.
- Turn the temp down to 115˚ and dehydrate for another two hours. Flip the bread over and dehydrate for a further hour.
- Serve with sprouts, avocado, red onion and Simple Salsa.
Store in an airtight container for up to a week.
- ¾ cup naturally sundried tomatoes, soaked till soft
- ½ cup chopped and seeded tomatoes
- ½ clove garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon flaky sea salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika powder
- 2 tablespoons red onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Chop your sundried tomatoes up, and then throw everything into the blender.Blitz till everything is well combined but still a little chunky.
- Season with freshly cracked pepper and serve.